The Board of Directors recognizes its legal and moral responsibility to ensure their policies, programs, projects, advocacy and employment are inclusive of all people, regardless of race, ethnicity, geographical origin, gender identification, age, religion, or socio-economic status. They committed to the following in their Statement of Diversity and Inclusion:
- Doing the work as an organization to learn about justice, equity, diversity and inclusion, and how they relate to our mission.
- Seeking to expand diversity of our Board of Directors.
- Recruiting employees and consultants whose background and experience show a commitment to diversity and environmental justice.
- Ensuring diversity and environmental justice are key components of our strategic planning and programmatic work.
- Using their positions as conservation leaders to amplify diverse voices in the conservation movement.
In addition to their personal commitments as Directors, the Board created an Ad Hoc Environmental Justice Policy Committee, which developed the Environmental and Social Justice Policy that was adopted by the District on June 3, 2021. In the policy, the Board defined environmental justice as the "fair treatment and meaningful involvement of all people regardless of race, color, national origin, or income, with respect to the development, implementation and enforcement of environmental laws, regulations, policies, programs and projects".
Environmental Justice Resources:
- SB 535 Disadvantaged Communities
- California Environmental Justice Alliance
- Latino Outdoors
- Asian Pacific Environmental Network
- Native American Water Justice
- National Museum of African American History and Culture: Talking About Race
- Black-led Organizations (Silicon Valley Community Foundation)
- Destination Home
- County of Santa Clara Division of Equity and Social Justice
- CAL EPA Environmental Justice Program
- EPA's EJSCREEN: Environmental Justice Screening and Mapping Tool
- USDA Environmental Justice Strategic Plan: 2016-2020
- USEPA Environmental Justice